In mid January Sam was not acting like himself. He was hardly eating, sleeping a lot and seemed somewhat depressed in general. As I was rubbing his neck one morning I noticed what felt like two large golf balls in his throat, I immediately knew something was very wrong. We took him to the vet that afternoon and they quickly confirmed he had lymphoma and that it had spread to all his lymph nodes. They sent us home with pain medication and told us to keep an eye on him and that other than that there was not much that could be done. He quickly went downhill, by February you could tell he was hurting and it was time for us to let him go. On February 2nd, 2013 we had a vet come to the house and we had a very peaceful, calm, sending him off. We all gathered around him, gave him lots of love, hugs, and rubs and then we sent the kids upstairs. The vet administered a series of two shots and he quietly fell asleep. It was more peaceful than I expected and although it was SO very sad, I am glad that he lay in our living room surrounded by his family in his last moments. Sam was our baby before we had babies. He was a good, crazy, playful boy. He loved on our babies and watched over them in a very protective way. He will be missed. We LOVE you, Sammy boy. Hope you are chasing squirrels in heaven.
We took lots of pictures in the days leading up to the end, but these three are my all time favorites. He was such a good looking dog. And the two of him lying with the kids when they were babies are just so precious.



No comments:
Post a Comment