My Norwegian is still beginner at best. I try to communicate with people, I am learning and practicing along side Ava each night with her homework, and the reality is I should be taking a foreign language class but don't really have the time to do so. Paperwork from school comes home with regularity and I often can't understand half of it. Usually I set it aside and have John translate it for me at some point. My lack of comprehension coupled with forgetfulness resulted in a major let down for Ava. One afternoon there was a coffee and cake parent meet and greet at her school and I completely missed it. When I got there to pick her up (with only 5 mins remaining of the event) she was in tears. She was so sad that I had forgotten, she was so discouraged that our lack of language fluency continues to be hard for both of us, and on the walk home that day she said she wished that we still lived in the US and that at least there I could understand English and wouldn't forget stuff! Unfortunately, I probably still would forget things, but she was right about understanding notices from school. Some days are hard--parenting is challenging and often you mess up. Luckily there is forgiveness, fresh starts and lots of LOVE to go around.
1 comment:
Grace.
Post a Comment