Sunday, January 05, 2014

John Decides on a House in Norway

For months while I was still in Atlanta, John was looking for housing for us in Norway.  He would send me on-line listings and I would look at pictures virtually while he went to SO MANY showings.  There were several houses we liked and were outbid on.  There were several houses that looked great in pictures and were not worth considering once he got there.  And then there was the house we ended up buying--two minutes walk from our house when we lived in Norway the first time, it is rather ironic that we will end up living on Askøy once again.  When he first sent me the house, I was not crazy about it.  I felt like it needed a lot of work, mostly cosmetic, but not my taste.  The previous owners had really unusual taste and had built a mini golf course in the back yard, had zebra wallpaper on many of the walls, etc. I referred to it as the "circus house".  But John saw the potential and thought it was the right house for us.  It was  big enough for what we needed, had a huge garage with a rental apartment above it that would help subsidize income, a short walk to the kids' schools, a family friendly neighborhood, a massive yard (by Norway's standards) and a beautiful view of the water and mountains of Bergen.  SO, I had to trust his opinion, know that we could slowly work on it to make it more our taste and be grateful to have a home and a place to go once the kids and I made our way to Norway in about a month.








No comments: