The end of March a chance encounter would have a major impact on my life. I was working for the Mendez Foundation and was growing increasingly frustrated with the dynamic of that work place. I loved the people I worked with, I loved the work I was doing, what I didn't love was the long commute each day and the lack of leadership running the show. In January I began aggressively looking into other opportunities, but nothing panned out. I decided to make the best of the situation and be grateful that I had employment. Then in March someone from McGraw Hill asked if I would come to two days worth of training in Texas the end of month. I agreed and thought I would work out the logistics as the date grew closer. So the end of March came and I was still working at the Foundation, I took three personal days and told my boss I needed to go do a training in Texas. I was suppose to present on Tuesday and Thursday and was planning to spend Wednesday in my hotel working on my computer. The sales rep I was with convinced me that being alone all day on Wednesday would be boring and I should join her at a vendor fair that day. We got to the exhibit hall and had been there no more than 10minutes when I noticed a tall, Scandinavian looking man across the way that looked very familiar. All of a sudden I realized it was my dear friend Blake's cousin named Todd. He was someone that I had skied with in Colorado some 15-20 years ago. I approached him and we instantly connected. We laughed at the likelihood of running into each other like this. We were both from CO, he now lives in Houston and I am in Atlanta and here we were bumping into one another-- small world. As we continued to talk and I asked about his product I realized it was very similar to the video program I had written for McGraw Hill. Todd was excited about my background and asked if I'd ever be interested in doing some contract writing for them. I thought this would be a great opportunity, we exchanged e-mails and said we'd be in touch. I could have never anticipated what would begin to happen within the next few weeks.I'll let you know that outcome as it happened in chronological order to these blog updates. Stay tuned...it's a good story.
No comments:
Post a Comment