Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Traveling Home


We had a flight out of Bergen at 6:30 am the day we left, which meant we needed to head to the airport around 4 in the morning. Sometime in the middle of the night, Karsten woke up with a stomach bug and I was up with him from about 2 am until we left. I was horrified that we had 20 hours of international travel ahead of us and a little boy who was throwing up. I packed numerous wash clothes, plastic bags and changes of clothes. We got into a cab around 4 am and were on our way to the Bergen airport. We checked in headed toward our gate and I ran to get some water and little snacks for the rest of us--Karsten seemed to be doing okay, no more throwing up. Thank God. As I was standing in line at the coffee kiosk, I saw John waving me down. I ran over to the seating area where he was waiting with the kids, only to find Ava had thrown up everywhere. She was upset about being sick, but more so mortified that she had thrown up all over the floor. Poor thing. At this point we were to be boarding for Amsterdam in 10 minutes, there was no telling what kind of travel day lie ahead. We ran to the restroom, cleaned up, and found our seats on the plane. I said a prayer that things would go as smoothly as possible. I am thrilled to report that there was never an upset tummy again from that point on! Both kids did amazingly well, slept, watched movies, and were all around fantastic. We landed in ATL, were home that afternoon and sound asleep by 6pm that evening, which was midnight Bergen time. Phew, so thankful things went as smoothly as they did.

No comments: