This is one of my favorite pictures of John's dad--there are a lot of memories associated with this image. The month before John and I were married, I spent in Norway. We had purchased a house on the island of Askoy and had a yard that was filled with boulders. We spent weeks, using heavy machinery to move those rocks, in an attempt to create a usable grassed area. Much of that time was spent with John's mother and father. I barely knew them at the time...we were getting acquainted as I would soon be a part of their family. One day while John was away on a business trip, I was working with his father on the yard. He had spent much of the day in the "big digger"... I played the role of dutiful housewife, making food and helping where I could. That afternoon I asked if I could try the digger? John's father's response was, "No, no, this is not something for a girl." I proceeded to show him otherwise and I think he was surprised and impressed that I could keep house, make food, and operate a front loader! This experience bonded us together. At our wedding I had a box with a small model front loader for him to remember our time together. This past Christmas he gave that model to Karsten--I have it sitting on a shelf in our office, it serves as a constant reminder of Farfar.
Today, January 23rd, 2011 Farfar went to be with his Father in heaven. It was only three short months ago that he was diagnosed with a brain tumor. I don't think any of us realized how quickly his life would end. We will miss him terribly, but find great peace in knowing he is no longer suffering. I am grateful that he was surrounded by loved ones as he drifted from this world. I am grateful that we had this past Christmas all together and that he was able to truly experience our children. The last night we were together in December, Ava and Karsten put on quite the show, singing and dancing for Farfar. That will always be a wonderful memory. I am grateful for the man that he was, strong and sweet, with a wonderful sense of humor. I am grateful for the father he was and the lovely memories his children will always have of him. I am grateful for the husband he was and the example he set in truly loving and caring for another person.
Rest in Peace Farfar-- we will miss you.
Sunday, January 23, 2011
In Loving Memory
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
Dear John & Julie, Ava & Karsten,
Our hearts ache for all of you and the rest of John's family at this sad time of losing Farfar. Your tribute to him was very touching and such loving memories you shared. Yes, it was a special blessing for your family to have that time together at Christmas, and also a blessing that he is at peace and not suffering. We too remember John Michael fondly, and are blessed to have spent time together. Love, Mom/Nana
Thank you for the kind and loving words about our father. The way you got to know him, is the way we always knew him.
Asbjorn
Post a Comment