Saturday, September 19, 2009

Karsten's First Day of School


Thursday morning Karsten went to his first morning of preschool. I looked around at numerous facilities and really weighed the pros and cons of what was the best place to put the kids. Ultimately deciding to keep both of them at the small center Ava has been attending at our church. I felt at least for this year, it requires minimal transistion-both kids go to nursery in these same rooms on Sundays, we know and love all the staff, and Ava is especially enamoured with her teacher, Ms. Jessica this year. The class ratios couldn't be better, both kids have only 6 kids in their classes-and Karsten's room has two teachers with that number. It is a Christian environment and a really great all around place. As an educator, I can't say that I think they have the strongest curriculum or extra curricular activities. Some of these bigger schools offered second language, seperate art facilities, a gym, etc. But ultimately, my children are in a safe and nuturing place- they are loved and that is all I could really ask for.And so, Karsten's first morning went well. I stayed for the Kindermusik class they have first thing on Thursdays and left shortly after that. His teacher, Ms. Renee said that he fussed for a few minutes and then was all settled in. He loved painting and playing outside. The downer that morning was a fire drill that scared him. Apparently, when they all went outside- Ava saw him crying and told me when I picked her up that, " Karsten was really sad- he was scared of the siren." Hopefully, we will be without fire drills for a while and he should be great!

3 comments:

Susan said...

aww he looks so cute. and with his new Elmo too....hope you did okay on Thursday too. :)

Becky Beaver said...

He's such a HANDSOME little man!!! I think how fun it must be to go to the same school as his sister!!

Anonymous said...

Karsten is looking like such a big boy now! Glad that he is enjoying preschool too.

Love & hugs,
Mom/Nana