Saturday, February 13, 2010

Catching Up--Life is crazy these days

I am attempting to catch up on close to two months of overdue blogs this weekend. I am horrified that I haven't posted since Christmas. The actual pictures of Christmas morning finally made it up about an hour ago, and in two hours it's Valentine's Day. Yikes! What happened to those eight weeks? To say that life has been busy is an understatement, a little crazy more like it. Since January we were sick for about three consecutive weeks in this household--strep, stomach flu, me reacting to antibiotics and so on. Finally, I think we are all on the mend...just in time for me to start a new job!
Over Christmas break I took some time to continue the job search. The contract work I had been doing for School Specialty was on hold while they re-configured some things within the company. I now know that the whole development team based out of PA is gone, which is the team I was working with. They downsized and moved that office to MA-- my heart aches for those affected by this decision. I for one am so grateful that a full time offer never was extended from this company, as I would have started something and shortly thereafter been without a job.
In the job search over Christmas I found two positions that I was interested in--one with a non profit organization that does prevention and nutrition education, the position is Head of Development. They are creating new curriculum that works with schools to have outdoor gardens that teach sustainability and organic, healthy eating. All while trying to change some of the nutrition guidelines accepted in school cafeterias. The other job I applied for is with Promethean, an interactive whiteboard technology company. Also, working in development helping publishing companies create science lessons that work with Promethean's format. Both offer current, progressive trends in education and I think would be interesting and exciting companies to work for.
Much to my delight and surprise I am being considered for both positions and as of next week will need to make a decision as to where I want to work. What a wonderful predicament to be in! I met with the non-profit foundation this past Thursday and really like what it stands for. It is a small, personable company in midtown Atlanta. The other company is in Alpharetta, about 20 miles west of here and is much bigger and more corporate. I meet with them this coming Tuesday. My hope is after that meeting I will be able to sit down and weigh the pros and cons and make a thoughtful decision about which will be best for me and for our family.
Times are about to change either way, but many good ways I believe. The kids will be in school everyday, but they seem thrilled with the idea. Both John and I are striving to work one or two days from home each week and can therefore keep those school days to minimum hours and be with the kids more. I will keep you posted as to what happens from here-- I welcome prayers for good decision making and easy transitions. And for now, I will resume blogging where I left off ( I guess around the beginning of January).

2 comments:

Susan said...

count on my prayers...excited to see where God leads

Anonymous said...

Yes, your life has been very busy, and that will become the new "normal" -- will just take some adjusting by all of you. Praying for wisdom and guidance as you consider the best decision for your family. Truly a blessing to have two opportunities offered to you!