Monday, August 10, 2009

Human Resources

Tomorrow is the big face to face interview for the Product Developer position I applied for. I will be meeting with the Vice President and Director of PD, both of whom are flying in for the day from Pennsylvania. I received an e-mail from the VP the other day, asking if I could plan to interview at 11:30 and then block out some time for them to take me to lunch. I was happy to oblige, and felt that seemed like a good sign that they already committed to more time with me than just the interview slot. We will see what comes of things, I hope to have a good feeling about it all by this time tomorrow.
This afternoon I got a call from another company I had applied with for a On-line Course Development Manager position. This Wednesday I will have a phone interview with their Human Resource Department. I tend not to be too excited about anyone in HR, my experience with most people in this capacity has been that they are neither human nor resourceful. But it has to happen in a certain order and I guess this is the first step.
I have really contemplated this decision long and hard. There have been many prayers and I really feel like things are coming together for a reason. I feel that this is my time to pursue other things outside of our household and am optimistic that a) I can find something flexible, which will still allow me to be a major part of my children's lives. And b) that in taking on another position it will fill some of the voids I have felt: being isolated, struggling at times to feel like I am using both my head and my degrees (which I am still paying student loans on each month), as well as time away from my lovely children which will hopefully in turn make me cherish and appreciate the time that I do have with them that much more.
I know that this will be a sacrifice if I do go back to work--things will change from how they currently operate. I will inevitably miss out on the things that Ava and Karsten are doing when I am not with them. But I am excited for them too-- I have gone and looked at a couple really great schools that will provide some healthy, happy structure. New friends, art, Spanish, yoga, music, etc. etc. The things they do with toddlers these days! See I have been home with them for the past three years or one and a half, respectively and I never even taught them the Downward Dog yoga position!!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Kjære Julie
Jeg krysser fingrene mine for deg. og håper at disse intervjuene kommer opp med noe du virkelig har lyst til. Det er så spennende og jeg gleder meg til å høre fortsettelsene.
klem fra
Svanhild

Anonymous said...

Thinking of you & prayed for you first thing this morning -- hope it goes well, and for good decision-making in this process. Shouldn't you be looking for a preschool that would teach Ava & Karsten Norwegian? :) (They don't have any relatives who speak Spanish, to my knowledge!)
Will be anxious to hear a follow-up!

Much love,
Mom

Anonymous said...

Julie. We wish you the best and hope that one of these opportunities can become a reality for you. And it would be fantastic if A&K could learn norwegian as a second language!!!! Their "secret" language when they are with their friends.

Susan said...

need an update....praying for you.

Kathy said...

Any news?...

twilafaye said...

I must take offense at your comment on HR. Remember that HR has the unfortunate position of being the gate keeper, which means that are not really allowed to like you or hate you since they have no real say in hiring you. However, make the HR person your friend and he/she may be able to bend the right ears. :)