There was a recipe in one of my culinary magazines for a Buche de Noel cake-or as I have always known it, a Yule Log. It looked very yummy and I thought it would be a fun thing to bake for Christmas. So yesterday morning after all the gift opening and playing, and while Ava napped- John and I set out to make the cake. Nearly four hours later and close to two dozen eggs, it was completed...luckily it turned out lovely (almost as good as the photo in the recipe) and it tasted even better than it looked. It was this light orange sponge cake that you rolled and was filled and covered with a chocolate butter cream icing. Not lacking in fat content or calories- but that's what Christmas is about, right? While I was making the icing it reminded me very much of the special cake our Oma always baked for birthdays and Christmas. Her Dobosche Torte was made similarly and tasted about the same. It brought back fond memories of baking in the kitchen with her and learning some of her traditions-it also made me miss her a great deal.
1 comment:
That cake is a masterpiece, and looks too pretty to eat. I'm sure everyone was impressed. So will this become your new Christmas baking tradition? Oma would be proud and honored. I had to smile...do you remember how every time she baked her dobosche torte she insisted on telling everyone HOW LONG it took, and how much work it was to bake??? But of course, always a labor of love for her family, and certainly appreciated.
Post a Comment