Thursday, January 18, 2007

Job Opportunities

Life continues to have a way of working itself out and providing us with opportunity. I love when things happen for a reason and it all makes sense-in this case, God has really had such in hand in steering the course of things. As I have said over and over, I am so fortunate and happy to have this time at home with Ava and I wouldn't trade it for anything. This thinking still holds true- however, five months into being an "at home mom" the reality of lack of connection has set in. Not only is it proving to be difficult to meet people when you live in a new town and are home all day with a baby. But I also felt like both my intellect and ability to relate with the working world was somewhat lacking as well. And then a job offer came...
While working in Curriculum and Instruction the past few years I was able to make many good connections with various textbook companies, as well as build up my skills in curriculum writing and presentation. (All things that would later be of good use.) This summer I worked on the side with SRA McGraw-Hill to put out a supplemental science program that is based on DVDs. I met with the corporate office in Ohio and brainstormed Teacher Edition components, and then served as an author and editor on the program the past several months. On Tuesday I received a copy of the final product in the mail. It was exciting both to see my name in print on each book, as well as knowing that the ideas we originally discussed on a chart paper had come to fruition and resulted in what I think is a really good product! The same week came a phone call from the Regional VP here in the Southeast who wanted to meet with me and think outside the box on ways that I could be a benefit to his team. With my curriculum background, experience with this series first hand, and location-it all seemed to be a good fit. So, we had dinner and discussed how little or much I wanted to do. For now I am going to work part time as a consultant. In February I will go to Florida and train his sales team on the components of the series and then try to be in contact with school districts around here-making initial phone calls and getting samples of the product into their hands. The best part is that all of this can be done from home, working on the computer and making calls while Ava is sleeping. Perfect! Now I can be a mom and a working person. The time in Charlotte was all a lead in to future possibilities- it’s nice when it all works out that way.

1 comment:

Kathy said...

Tell me how you're praying so I can get some of that!!!
Congrats. You're going to do great!