Sunday, March 07, 2010

Barnyard Birthday Cake




I have enjoyed trying my hand at creating the cake for Karsten and Ava's birthdays each year. It's my outlet for creative expression. Last year was the first I tried working with fondant on Ava's Sleeping Beauty cake, this year I decided to sculpt animals with it to make a barnyard scene for Karsten. I found tinting and shaping it is far easier than trying to roll it out and create smooth perfect lines. John helped with the construction and form for the barn and I was in charge of the artistry. All in all I think it turned out really cute, I especially liked the animals. And Karsten was thrilled, so guess that's all that really matters. Note to self: in future years, steer clear of dark green icing. It was a mess on the children at the party and later came out the other end just as green. Yikes!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a great birthday cake! It will be hard to "top" this idea for next year! Were all the farm animals eaten??? I think I would have sprayed them with acrylic to save them for a memento, after all that work!

Love,
Mom

Susan said...

I am MORE than impressed by this...wish I could hire YOU

Irmelin said...

oh my GOSH! that cake was fantastic! :D